Cooking Finland is on Facebook! Click here. My art blog is here.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oven Pancake with barley flour--Ohra Pannukakku


This morning, I tried a different oven pancake recipe for the first time.  I found it on a Finnish flour company website, Myllyn Paras.  This recipe uses barley flour in the batter.

I followed the recipe as I found it:

1 liter milk (4 cups)
4 eggs
3 dl all-purpose flour (1 1/4 cups)
2 dl barley flour (2/3 + 1/4 cup)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamon
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit).

First, I beat the eggs and then added the milk.  Then I beat in both types of flour.  I was a little concerned at this point that it might not be enough eggs for this volume of milk.  I continued with the recipe, but I wonder if the flour company had a typo in their recipe.


Next I added the sugar, cardamon and salt.  Cardamon is commonly used in baked goods in Finland.  You can buy the whole pods, remove the green husks, and grind the seeds with a mortar and pestle.  This is really a lot of work, but gives the best flavor.  Cardamon is also available ground in a jar, this is generally not as strong and you should use about 25 percent more than with fresh ground.


The recipe also calls for vanilla sugar.  I don't have any in the pantry right now,  I substituted 1 teaspoon extract.  Vanilla sugar is a little hard to find, but is available on Amazon, at Ikea, and at some specialty grocery stores.



Prepare a jelly roll pan by lining it with parchment and buttering the parchment.  The parchment I used was slightly small for the pan.  Next time I will be much more careful that the paper covers the entire pan--this batter really sticks!


The pancake baked for about twenty minutes at 400 F.


We ate the pancake with strawberry jam and some wonderful frozen peaches and blueberries from last summer.  We enjoyed the pancake, but it really needed extra eggs.  We like barley flour in general, and I would like to try this again following the instructions that I previously posted here but substituting 1/2 cup barley flour for 1/4 cup of the all-purpose flour.  That would change the list of ingredients to this:

3 cups milk
9 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup barley flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
and I would put in either 1 teaspoon cardamon or one teaspoon of vanilla, but not both.

I'll keep you updated when I try the pancake again with my own list of ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm new to your blog. I found it when I was looking for what slow cooker is in Finnish. I usually use North American recipes and so I have to use vanilla sugar when the recipe calls for vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley!
    I think that slow cooker is just literally translated in Finnish: hidas liesi

    I don't find much difference when I use vanilla or vanilla sugar, I've substituted both ways. Vanilla sugar seems to give a prettier result because it is white, especially for creamy dishes.

    ReplyDelete